Is a bitcoin faucet a profitable website?
Running a Bitcoin faucet can be great fun and can teach you a lot about how to run one. You learn the development, business and marketing aspects of the site, which are all invaluable skills to have. But what you have to keep in mind when dealing with your own faucets is that while there are advertisers, and there are a lot of people that like to visit faucets, that does not make them profitable. If you want to make money off your faucet, especially a lot of it, you will have to go further than just hosting a faucet. You need to come up with other services that it can be tied in with that will help with the money generation. If you can do this, you can make a very successful site and everything can work out well!
A good article about how to run a faucet can be found at devtome.com
How to set up your bitcoin faucet without any programming skill
A skilled programmer can build a faucet script quite easily, but uf you have little programming knowledge, not to worry, there are severalpremade scripts for you to use for your faucet. The two main Bitcoin micropayment processor which offer a reliable premade faucet script are:
- FaucetBox This processor was a successor to Microwallet after the admin left. This processor supports payments from Bitcoin, Litecoin, Dogecoin and Peercoin and currently has a very large amount of faucets running on it, and is very trusted by the community. They offer a free faucet script, and also a way to migrate a Microwallet faucet to FaucetBox.
- Paytoshi The admin is good with support and even made a library for payments on request. This processor also provides a free faucet script.
How to earn money with a bitcoin faucet
There are various methods to monetize a bitcoin faucet. From advertising to affiliate links, or even donations. But all of this should be always paired with innovation and a good promotion of your website.
Regular Banner Advertising
The easiest and fastest way of placing advertising on your website is by using Google Adsense. Just be sure that your faucet will have some real content for the users, such as informations about bitcoins, or a news section. Otherwise you can risk to have your account banned from the Google Adsense program.
Banner Advertising that pays in Bitcoin
Other advertiser will pay you directly in bitcoin, so you will also be able to fund your faucet directly with the bitcoins earned from this type of advertising. Some of the biggest players in this field are:
- Anonymous Ads Probably the oldest bitcoin ad network still running. Pays based on the amount of views, but is dependant on which advertisers are advertising and their daily budget. This ad network is for banner and text ads.
- CoinURL Another very famous and widely used bitcoin ad network. This ad network is for banner and text ads.
- AdBit AdBit runs on a pay-per-day bidding system. Basically, you put an ad space on your page, and people bid on it. The higher the bid the more of a share the advertiser has.
- Bee-Ads Bee-Ads runs on the same system as AdBit. This ad network is only for banner ads.
- BitClix BitClix runs on a pay per click system, meaning that every click on your ad gives you a set amount that the advertiser paid for. Can be good if you have a high click rate on your banners. This ad network is for banner and text ads.
- BitMedia This network displays both text and banner ads, and also boasts similar rates to Google Adsense. It also runs on a pay per click system.
Test the ones that work best for your website and stick to them, but just don’t rely on a single source of income. Also do not plaster your site with as much advertising as humanly possible. Not only is it ugly on the eye, but it makes you look desperate.
This advertising is displayed inside your captcha and it is useful as it is non intrusive and also gives your faucet some kind of protection against bots. This advertising source is not too great when it comes to earning money, and should not be relied upon for your funds. The main solutions for this kind of advertising are:
- SolveMediaThis is a widely used and supported captcha type on most faucet scripts. Occasionally a small pre-roll ad will appear in the captcha, or simply just a banner at the top. You will earn for every captcha solved on this system. However, since some of this captcha’s questions are multiple choice answers, it can be easy for bots to decipher. In additon to this, in order to get a cashout, you have to fill in a tax form.
- Minteye This captcha is different, as it provides a skewed image that the user must unskew to solve the captcha. This is done by sliding a bar at the bottom. Advertising is shown inside the skewed image, and isn’t intrusive at all.
- ConfidentCaptcha This captcha requires the user to click images specified by text above. An ad is sometimes displayed underneath this, and is how you earn revenue using this captcha.
- AreYouAHuman? This captcha gives the user small puzzles to solve in order to complete the captcha. These puzzles can sometimes be based around a certain product, which is how you generate money with this captcha.
Last but not least, you can earn money from affiliate and referral programs.
There are dozens, if not hundreds, of affiliate programs you can use, but probably one of the most well known is Amazon Associates program. Just be aware that each regional Amazon website has its own independent affiliate program (for example Amazon.it). So pay a lot of attention to where your users are mainly coming from.